Signed in as:
We’ve committed to plant 5 Giant Sequoias with the One Life One Tree project to help us reach our target of net zero. With 3 native trees planted per giant sequoia in the same location as well.
Each Sequoia planted is targeted to capture 500 tonnes of CO2 over 250 years, and more thereafter. The trees will be planted as part of a grove in Abergavenny, with three native trees planted alongside each Sequoia. Some interesting Sequoia facts include:
• Giant Sequoia are the largest tree species in the world, with the biggest recorded being General Sherman in California. 275ft tall, 25ft wide, 714 tonnes in weight!
• Just one Giant Sequoia can grow big enough to capture a person’s entire lifetime carbon footprint!
• They are the world’s fastest growing coniferous tree.
• They are some of the oldest living organisms on the planet, dating back as far as 3500 years.
• Their red bark gave them the name ‘Redwoods’. It is naturally fire resistant.
• More than 95% of all Giant Sequoia and Coastal Redwoods were felled by loggers during the 19th and 20th centuries. What few remain are very precious and they are now on the IUCN Endangered Species Red List..
Each giant sequoia will sequester 6.5 Tonnes of CO2 each year and over an 80 year period (normal average life of a human) that means it will sequester 520 Tonnes of CO2.
Native trees such as Oak will on average sequester 308kg CO2
So we paid for 5 giant sequoia which will include 15 native trees.
Copyright © 2022 PGSO Ltd - All Rights Reserved.
Company Reg 12960911 - VAT no. 361 0777 04